Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ain't That the Truth?

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
~Steven Wright
This quote reminds me of a story about my Great Grandfather. He bought farm land outside of town and built a house, barn and all the outbuildings himself, with the help of his sons. He and my greatgrandmother had 16 children. During the week my great grandfather would walk 10 miles to town to his other job. He walked because he didn't want to pay the board the horses. He would stay in town all week to work and then on the weekend he'd walk the 10 miles back to the farm, carrying food and supplies for the family on his back. In winter he'd slog through high snow drifts to make it home. Once he became lost and had to break into a building for the night. He left a note and what little money he had in the building for the owner to find. The money was to repair the damage he caused while breaking in. He walked to town for several years to work in order to provide for his large family while the farm grew and became productive. What strength of character. What determination. What willpower. It shames me to think that there are times when I think, "its just too far" or "I'm just too tired". Honestly. What crap. So I keep great grandpa's spirit in my head and heart so that I'll remember how easy my life is.

No comments: